Our work is underpinned by the five principles of a strengths based approach.
- We take the view that all the young people we work with possess strengths.
- Strengths can be identified in work between the young person and R.E.A.L. staff.
- An individual’s sense that they can make a difference to their concerns is supported by an awarenessof their strengths.
- We assume that motivation towards positive change can occur through a consistent emphasis on the young person’s strengths.
- All environments contain resources that can be harnessed to make a difference and to harness these resources we need to actively discover and utilize them.
Working in this way we draw on a number of key approach that organise ideas and help to guide and shape our work.
The next few pages of this section offer brief introductions to four of the key approaches that we use in our work.